Living at Portage Manor
At Home Here
Nine purring cats, Princess, Puff Baby, Baby Patches, Mittens, Calli, Toby, Toto, Tinker and Skeeter; Portage Manor is not the ordinary residential health care facility.
Built in 1906 on 144 acres this 144-resident facility feels like home from the moment you drive up the circular driveway to its white-pillared porch. Though you may be impressed by the architecture, it has been said that the beauty of comes form the love in the hearts of the people inside.
The first time you open the solid oak double front doors you know you are someplace special, a place where life isn't in such a hurry; a place where people not only take the time to talk with one another, but to listen too.
If you are looking for alternative living arrangements that include a caring atmosphere along with the convenience of three home style meals, assistance with medication and housekeeping, plus a most lively activities program we invite you to visit with us.
A wide variety of people live here. St. Joseph County residents over age 65 find that Portage Manor is a supportive retirement home. People between 18 and 65 with a physical or mental disability also make their home with us.
We are proud to note that people come here for the assistance we offer, but often move into more independent settings after having to "get on their feet" with treatment programs in South Bend.
Portage Manor provides many services including:
- All kinds of activities are scheduled every day
- Bed linens and laundry are cleaned weekly
- Delicious home-style meals are prepared here and served in our dining room
- Housekeepers help keep the newly remodeled building beautiful
- Oak Lawn, a local mental health center, provides individual and group counseling.
- Other treatment programs to meet your individual needs are coordinated with agencies in South Bend
- Our house doctor and psychiatrist see's patients weekly
- Our private bank makes personal spending money available weekdays
- Special diets ordered by doctors can be prepared
- We have nursing staff on duty 24/7
- We have our own bus that makes trips to town several times each week for:
- The beach
- Library visits
- Other special events